Monday, February 16, 2009

Where my blog resides...

This was a rather tough decision. Trust me. It was.
I mentioned in my last-to-last post that I might be shifting my blog to Wordpress. After evangelizing it, and making another friend shift from his blogger blog to a wordpress blog, I myself assessed whether I should shift or not. Especially since I had a [very small amount of] traffic coming here and feared that shifting might make me lose even that!
So I summed up what all I thought Wordpress could give me and what I'd thought Blogger couldn't. Since I was competing Blogger with free Wordpress hosting, my inal verdict was in favour of Blogger. No doubt, WP[.org] services on paid hosting are par imaginable excellence, I will stick to Blogger until I get my own domain.
Wordpress gives:
  1. Upload "blog Picture" which then becomes your blog's favicon
  2. It gives you the option to insert Meta tags in your posts which help improve SEO of your blog's content. One of the grounsd due to which my blog got a porrwebsite score on the grader from Hubspot, beside.
  3. It also gives you the option to give your images a caption and specify the alt text, right as you upload it, so without any hassle, your images become more searchable. That is absolutely essential for images of blogs like mine since I wish my images do come up in image searches of relevant things.
  4. It has a much more beautiful Dashboard. [Ah! Now you can't accept this without seeing it. Wordpress 2.7 I believe is one of the best things to happen to Blogging! :)]
  5. It is faster, built with much better AJAX.
  6. Its image uploading is far more comfortable than in Blogger, and also, has a resizable post editor box, which can even be stretched to fullscreen. If you've cared to upload images in Blogger, you would've seen how the image comes in the top of the post, and how, if your image is large, it takes a huge amount of effort to drag it down and below at the end of the text, where it ought to be. Also, the post editor is amazingly rigid, and sometimes, the HTML editor does stretch out, but rarely, if ever, does my Visual editor show the ability to expand or resize.
  7. Wordpress is much more actively spreading, and evolving. Blogger is like a dead creature in front of the pace with which Wordpress has developed. Also, this rapid progress, has lent it to be a better and stabler platform than Blogger is. More often than not, blogger tells you that its experienced an error with a freakingly scary and long code. It tells you could discuss this with other blogger bloggers who've experienced the problem and have a thread with the error code in the subject. Twice now, and that too with different errors, Blogger's forum has been of no help as nobody's cared to post anything pertaining to the topic. [Neither did I in fact. I had no idea what to, actually!]
  8. Way better and more professional themes with heavy customizability, and a small array of widgets, but each with a specific aim. Also, unlike Blogger's many widgets, the widgets Wordpress does choose and offer, are well tested and never stop working. :) If you know the "This widget is broken sign" I'm talking about which often comes up on the blog, publicly (and rather shamelessly) if the widget wasn't from the right "coder".
What Blogger gives, in return (or how I overcame the problems, and in the face of such adversity and doubt, managed to stick to my original blog):
  1. I have learnt of a method to put up a favicon in blogger thanks to Blogger's open permission to me to edit the source code of my template.
  2. I now use scribefire. A purely outstanding Firefox add-on, which is in effect an in-browser post editor. It not only lets me insert Technorati tags, it also lets me choose servers from which I can choose to receive ping-backs. I don't really know how that worls, but the description has a nice ring to it. :)(I am writing this post in ScribeFire, since at this precise moment, I am entirely offline.)
  3. I decided to care to remember to do that manually by going into the
    HTML editor everytime I insert an image. Really helpless in such a case.
  4. [Beautiful Dashboard] Can't be matched - will have to do without it.
  5. Again can't be matched... Actually Scribefire not only matches the ease and speed, it beats it in the fact that ScribeFire is entirely offline.
  6. ScribeFire uploads the image properly, but offers another trouble in exchange. It does not resize the image according to my themes posting space, and the image, especially those which I make with my customary 800X800 dimensions, get entirely screwed up. But I manage...
  7. Now I really can't match the evolution of the platform by anything except for the fact, that ScribeFire's developing just as fast (or so I like to think).
Wordpress fanboys, including my brother insist that I use ScribeFire for my wordpress blog. Blogger, and everything google, sucks. (I'll explain that later on when I have even more time at hand). I believe another one of my friends would support his views. But the thing is that I've actually put some effort into customizing the feeds for this blog (and I care despite the fact that I have no subscribers apart from my bro), and also inserted too many widgets to shift them all. I like them all and after all is said and done free Blogger, also has some leads over free WP.
  1. Blogger lets me freely change my template's source code, thus with cursory knowledge of XHTML and CSS, I can customize the fonts to extend beyond the regular options, like entering Lucida Grande as one of the first options for people who have it.
  2. It lets me use any theme that works on it. WP blocks my theme usage to a select number.
  3. I have 2GB of extra space. I know that by the time I get about to using 5 GB, or even 3 GB of bandwidth, I'll definitely have the money to have my own domain, but I still like to hold that reason as another justifying thing for my sticking-to-Blogger-despite-personal-hypocritic-hatred-towards-Google behaviour.
  4. I can use interactive widgets like outbrain on my free blogger whereas there are no options for widgets like that which I can use in free WP. That is very annoying.
Oh well, I think that's about it. I know that this extensive list is of no use to anybody at all. The reason that I still post is that I wanna try to manage to make two posts per week. And such "stuff"'s gonna help do that. :)

Also, please try to subscribe to my email feed using the form beside - the 3rd from the top widget. And comment on whatever you thought about this or any other post. And you can even try giving me some starred rating using the outbrain widget that I currently use. It comes at the end of the post. :). Thnx for reading if you did. Even if you didn't thanks for visiting. At least i got a visit! :) Technorati Tags: , , , ,

8 comments:

Unknown said...

1. Shifting to FeedBurner if you shift to WordPress isn't an issue because you can change the feed location it takes from.
2. I hate Google...and your brother doesn't like them either?! Yay! :D
3. WordPress gives you 3 GB of storage for free.
4. True, WP.com might give a limited set of templates, but they're many and of a much better quality than the crap dished out by Blogger. New ones are added every once in a while.

Vishesh said...

1. Ah! I'd thought so too. Butthen, just another excuse.
2. My brother does hate google. For numerous reasons that too, one of them being similar to the reason why he hates apple too. Yeah, he does hate Apple too, cool coincidence ain't it? (Though rather hypocritically, he still sticks to Gmail) :P
3. I know WP gives me 3 GB of free storage. That's what I wrote. Blogger gives me 5 GB. A rather lame reason, but nevertheless something.
4. I agree that Wordpress's themes are _way_ better, more beautiful, and more professional than Blogger's. They're _wordpress_ Themes after all!
But the thing is that, I want a full black theme. Now, I've seen _many_ full black themes for WP that are _beautiful_ but the thing is that WP doesn'tlet me use them unless I pay. Blogger at lets me use some external themes. Also, Blogger's way of using themes, though very "kiddish", you could say, is extremely easy to edit and use. Moreover, even the themes we are allowed in WP, are very rigid. I get barely any control over the positioning of the widgets, especially in footer-column themes like Depo Masthead, that many times craps the entire widget columns up. Also, let alone control over the CSS, I can't even change a single font being used. (for that I believe, we are allowed to submit our own CSS, but then, I can't even hand code a style sheet. :()

Thus, I resort to Blogger for now. But rest assure, Im pretty sure I'll amange a domain of my own rather soon, and then, rather obviously, I'd be using Wordpress. :) Hope to see that time soon, myself...

Unknown said...

Hmm, I do hope you get your own hosting soon. Then you'll be able to have full control with hosted WordPress.

Oh wow, he hates Apple too! Man, I think your brother and I will have a nice time burning Apple and Google posters at BarCamp Delhi 6.

WordPress allows you to edit CSS only if you pay for an upgrade. I won't necessarily hold it against them because after all, they do need a business model!

Are you and / or your brother attending WordCamp this weeked?

Namya said...

no comments, dude. it's all 'geek' to me. hahaha
sorry, my sense of humour spontaneously combusted when it saw the amount of social studies i have to rote. here's hoping it's a phoenix.

Vishesh said...

@Ankur: True, WP does need a business model, and that's theirs (here you go saying the same thing my brother's been saying to me all the while I wrote this post ;)). I don't hold it against them at all. I just find that too "clustering" to blog with, and thus am sticking to Blogger, although with many repents, nevertheless. :(

Actually, somewhat ahead of you, my brother even hates all the "camps" nowadays. (don't you think that's a lot of hatred to brew in one guy simultaneously?? ;) ). That's one of the secret and personal reasons he chose not to come to MozCamp either.He says he did the most initial work in getting info set up on the wiki anyways. Also, he did work breakneck for that presentation, you seemed to have liked. (Can you imagine more than half the thing was made while you were seeing the Seth and Arun dudes' boring speeches?) But he still didn't come. Cause he hate camps.
So he wont be coming around to wordcamp or bcd6 - unfortunately for you. :(

@Namya: Yeah, this was one of the geeks-only types post. That's why it was so quickly covered up by another post - the spectrum one. Hope you liked that. :)

Unknown said...

I don't hate camps...not yet. It's a really good place to network with people and make new friends! Although going purely by the talks that are scheduled they may not be worth attending but I think making new friends is important too. :) Hey, I got to know about your brother at BCD5, after all!

Vineesh said...

@Vishesh: I don't hate camps per se! :P

@Ankur Banerjee: You are spot on bro. I don't hate camps as such and yes making friends is important, but more than the talks, the thing I hate about the recent camps is that they are too agendized! :)
After being through the BCD5 prep and all, didn't have too good an experience.
How has it been for you with BCD6?
For Mozcamp it was primarily the work for the ppt that kept me out of it and a couple of other urgent assignments.

Unknown said...

@Vineesh: One of the biggest problems with BCD6 is the whole sponsorship issue. :(